Friday, November 27, 2009

Something Real-Please Read

I have noticed that I have only really talked about superficial things on this blog, so its time to talk about something real.

Last week I took part in a poll on facebook about Sarah Palin. It was extremely off putting how many of the comments below it were bashing President Obama. This was a poll on Palin yet the majority of the comments weren't even about her. I began to read the posts that people made and I heard the usual drone of people who are so negative about everything that Obama has done. It was not only distracting from the poll, but offensive.

I am in no way Republican. You can tell by taking one look at my backpack, with its many progressive buttons. But I feel as though in the course of the previous election and during Obama's presidency, the debate has turned from Republican vs. Democrat to a more racial and hateful tone. I firmly believe that Obama is the right man for the job of president right now. He is extremely intelligent, confident, isn't two faced, and frankly he won in a landslide which shows that many people voted for him! But now it seems as though people are turning on their vote and finding every little thing to nit pick him on. Give him a break people! So many people were accusing him of ruining the country the first few weeks he was in office. No matter who you are, you cannot turn our country around in 1 month, not with all the baggage the previous administration left him.

I think that the thing that Obama has shown all of America is that we are not over our racial prejudices and there still is a strong undercurrent of hate towards people who are unlike us, no matter their race, creed or sexual orientation. Hell, everyone was convinced that he was a terrorist because his middle name is the same as Saddam Hussein! That's probably a very common name, like Jones or Smith in the part of the country Obama's father was born! I hate to say it, but if Obama had all the same credentials but was white, there would not nearly be as many people threatening him, his family, or the administration.

I pray constantly for him and his family. I am scared to death that something bad will happen to them. If people would give him a chance, he could do amazing things as president. But everyone is so blinded in their own stereotypes and unwillingness to accept someone who is different from them that they wont give him that chance.

What kind of country is this that we say everyone has equal rights and opportunities yet when we elect a black man as our president, we expect him to be absolutely perfect and criticize him for every little thing he does that isn't?

I see it this way. By electing Obama as president, we prove to minorities everywhere that yes, even though you are a minority, you can do what ever you want and be who ever you want, even the President. Are you going to tell children at an early age that because they are in any way different from the "norm" that their dreams are limited??


Think about that before you criticize Obama.


If you have the urge to comment, feel free. But if you post something argueing with my thoughts without being open to what I -or anyone who opposes you- has to say, then I don't want to hear your arguement. I do not enjoy being hounded by people who are so pointed in their thoughts and are not open to maybe, possibly, being wrong or considering the opposite point of view.

1 comment: